Troubleshooting Image Uploading Issues
Studios attempting to upload exports should follow these instructions:
- ImageMatch exports - contact the SimplePhoto support team to obtain FTP details that can be used to upload ImageMatch uploads.
- DRUMS/SPOTS exports - use the automated FTP upload solution outlined in the DRUMS/SPOTS Uploading help file.
- Timestone exports - use the Chrome web browser to upload Timestone exports.
If uploading is slow and/or error occurs near the end of the upload process...
We have found that uploading problems are most often related to one of two things:
- Attempting to upload a large number of large images using a web browser other than Internet Explorer on a PC.
If you are using a Windows PC and you have not done so already, try using Internet Explorer 8 or higher. The "Fine Uploader" option inside SimplePhoto's Gallery & Prepay Settings screen needs to be disabled so that the proper image uploader is used with Internet Explorer.
If you are using a web browser other than Internet Explorer on a PC, one step that will significantly speed up the upload process and reduce errors is to batch resize the images in a program like Adobe Lightroom before you attempt to upload. The images should be resized to 600 pixels on the longest side, or the value of the setting in your SimplePhoto account located at Gallery & Event Settings -> Image & Upload Options -> Gallery Image Size.
- Attempting to upload a large number of images from a network drive or an external USB or Firewire hard drive. Please copy the files to a local drive on your computer and upload the images from the local drive.
Please use the Support Center or Contact Technical Support link in your SimplePhoto account to communicate with the SimplePhoto support team. When submitting a support ticket related to uploading problems, please provide us with the following information so we can best troubleshoot the issue.
- What operating system and web browser are you using?
- How are you attempting to upload? Gallery Control Panel, SimplePhoto Importer (Gallery Per Directory or Gallery Per Image), PhotoLynx, Timestone, DRUMS/SPOTS drag and drop, DRUMS/SPOTS FTP
- Approximately how many images are included in the upload that is failing?
- Approximately how large is the average image in the upload that is failing?
- Please visit this bandwidth testing site and let us know what it shows for your upload and download speeds: https://www.speedtest.net
- Please let us know if one of the uploading phases described below appears to take much longer than the others.
- Phase 1: There is an initial "Preparing data..." message on the upload window immediately after the "Upload Images" button is pressed. If the "Preparing data..." message appears for a long time, the upload process can be significantly sped up if the images are resized before uploading as outlined below.
- Phase 2: The progress meter fills as images are actually uploading.
- Phase 3: There is a final "Waiting for response from server..." phase just before the "Upload complete." message appears.
Windows PC users: If you experience difficulties trying to upload large numbers of images (2000 or more images), we recommend installing Internet Explorer 8 or higher. Based on our testing, the upload tool available when using Internet Explorer 8 performs much better when you are attempting to upload a large number of images.
If the image uploader does not load properly on the page and you cannot begin the upload process...
- Please restart your computer first to see if that corrects the problem.
- If you are using a Windows PC and you have not done so already, try using Internet Explorer 8 or higher.
- If you are having problems using Internet Explorer on a PC, try using Chrome.
Send us images for troubleshooting:
When the steps outlined above are not successful in identifying the issue, SimplePhoto may request that you send us the images you are attempting to upload.
If you are instructed to do so, please create a zip file with the images you are attempting to upload and use a service like hightail.com or dropbox.com to send us the zip file containing the images. We will then attempt to recreate and correct the problem you reported. If you prefer to use Dropbox, here is a help file on sharing the zip file using Dropbox: https://www.dropbox.com/help/167/en
June 2015 - Notice for Internet Explorer users
Due to a Microsoft security update, some Internet Explorer users are beginning to see a message "An add-on for this website failed to run". To workaround this issue, you can do one of two things:
Option 1: Run Internet Explorer as administrator
- Find the Internet Explorer icon in the Start menu, right click on the icon, then select "Run as administrator".
- Download the installer here: http://demo.digitaleventpics.com/support/UploadSuiteRedistributable.zip
- Double click on the UploadSuiteRedistributable.msi file if you are using a 32bit version of Windows or UploadSuiteRedistributable_x64.msi if you are using a 64bit version of Windows.
- Restart the Internet Explorer web browser after the installation is complete.